Thursday, November 19, 2009

My trip to KY and Ruth's Chris Steakhouse

I have to tell you guys, I never thought I'd go down to KY and enjoy myself. But I did. Not enough to live there, but since the boy has property down there, I know I'll enjoy camping down there once a year. Even though I still haven't been camping.

Our intention was to go camping. Well, ok, let me clarify. Our original intention was to leave Wed night and go to Pittsburg, PA. Things didn't work out so we weren't going to take a trip at all and I didn't take Thurs off, just Fri, so then the week of Halloween, we decided to go to KY and see his property and go camping. Well, somewhere on Wed, we discovered it was supposed to rain. A LOT. So we just decided to go down there to see his property and hang out in Louisville. We left about 8ish on Thursday night. See where I am going with this???

So we end up somewhere outside of Indianapolis around 1 in the morning Friday morning. We stopped at the Best Western, which let me tell you. Fridge, microwave, king bed, comfy as hell and like 6 pillows. Bliss, I tell you. Bliss.

So after our free breakfast, we headed back out on the road around 11... We made it to his property, which is about an hour west of Louisville around 1 ish. We walked around his 9 acres and breathed in some absolutely awesome clear clean air...

Where are the pictures you ask? Don't. My dumbass wasn't thinking and didn't take any. (I took some in Louisville though).

So after chillin w/ his neighbors for a bit, we headed to Louisville. As we were pulling into the city, I saw a sign at the top of one of the taller buildings... Ruth's Chris in bright lights in the distance... Then we get closer and closer and before you know it, I realize they are right across the street from our hotel. It was fate. Earlier in the day, I had asked my babes to let me take him someplace nice for dinner for all the driving he did and everything he was paying for. I didn't imagine it would be Ruth's Chris.

I've never been there before. I've heard of them. I've heard of how they sear the meat at 1800 degrees and topped with fresh butter so they sizzle all the way to the table. Which, btw, the plates are so hot, the meat is still cooking on the plate.
On the balcony of the 16th floor, where Ruth's Chris is located. We make a cute little couple :)

They have their fall/winter classics menu that we both ordered from. You start off with a starter of select salads or soup. I chose the Harvest Salad, "mixed greens with roasted corn, dried cherries, crispy bacon and tomatoes in a white balsamic vinaigrette, topped with goat cheese and Cajun pecans" and he chose Louisiana Seafood Gumbo, "classic gumbo with Andouille sausage, shrimp and crab meat"
Louisiana Seafood Gumbo
I could have eaten five plates of that salad. It was hands down the best salad I've EVER HAD!!!!  Seriously if you go just for the salad, please do!  Let me tell you I have gone to Ruth's Chris since in IL and have ordered that salad to go.  So good!!!!
For dinner, I chose the 11oz filet, medium rare and he had the 16 oz ribeye. There were additional items that aren't on the online menu for an add'l $10. I also chose to have a crab cake and asparagus topped onto my filet. Delicious. The crab cake had barely any breadcrumbs or mayo-like sauce holding it together. It was like they managed to get crab meat and seasoning smahed together long enough to cook and top onto my filet without it falling apart. OMG was it good!
Yummy Filet
I chose green beans w/ roasted garlic as my side and the boy had the sweet potato casserole
Sweet potato casserole, definitely not the same as the marshmallow topped stuff!
Do you see how delicious that casserole looks? OMG, it was even better in my mouth (we shared our sides). Let me tell you, that side was more like a dessert than a side dish with dinner! It was sooo good, I'm making it for Thanksgiving dinner, even if he and I are the only ones eating it!

You'd think by this point, we wouldn't want dessert. Ha. Me, not want dessert? That's why we boxed up half our sides, so we had room for dessert!

Our dinners came with a dessert, a pairing of a carrot cake & a chocolate cup filled with chocolate mouss. But our waiter gave us the option of choosing something off the regular menu. Which, of course, we did. I ordered the Creme Brulee w/ fresh berries b/c I love creme brulee, but I hate making it since it takes forever and it is soooooo bad for you.
Creme Brulee
Babes ordered the Caramelized Banana Cream Pie. Wow was that good. They bruleed the sugar on top and it was delicious. I would hate to be the one to wash that dish though. :)
Caramelized Banana Cream Pie
The banana cream pie was only half eaten and taken to go. The creme brulee was finished though, since it wouldn't have boxed well.

We were dying after. OMG, I went back to the room and thought my stomach was going to explode inside of me. We were attempting to go to Waverly Hills Sanitarium Haunted House. They have a haunted house around Halloween, but during the rest of the year, they have tours of the hospital. Unfortuntely, they weren't doing any b/c of the haunted house and you can't even reserve a spot for a tour until January. So, we'll have to go back...
I finally managed to get off the bed and get moving. We got there and there was a line and it was pouring rain. The ticket guy gave us garbage bags to cover our heads. How nice. Everyone else had umbrellas and rain coats. We had garbage bags. Silly tourists.
It was pretty decent. We are huge fans of haunted houses that are longer than 5 min and this took some time to go through, so it was cool. Lots of dark places for people to jump out at ya. Which of course is the best part.

So Sat we went wandering around the city, which isn't that big. But there are lots of horses. Painted horse that is.
Sat night we headed in our flannel plaid shirts (if you knew me before my boy, I hated flannel plaid, I love it now!) out to check out more haunted houses Sat night. Baxter Street Morgue was one of them. That one was def cool. The other place we went to had two haunted houses in them and those were really cool. We got lost in one of them and of course, I was terrified of the clowns and chainsaw guys, but hey, you know it's almost over when you hear the chain saw going!!!

We look so cute in plaid :)

Three other places to check out in Louisville. Homemade Ice Cream and Pie Kitchen has homemade ice creams, pies, cakes, cookies and a deli/cafe w/ soups and sandwiches. We went there Sat afternoon and both got an ice cream cone and a slice of red velvet to go. Babes had never had red velvet before. He loved it. Being that it is my favorite cake, I'm happy he likes it to since I make it often! It wasn't as good as my recipe, but it definitely hit the spot that night. :)

The other place we went to was Mark's Feed Store. OMG, was that good. I had a pulled pork sandwich and their burgoo, which is the grossest looking soup ever, but very good and spicy!
Their BBQ sauce was so good, even if it was mustard based :) There are three locations in Louisville and one in New Albany, IN. Definitely a must try if you are out there!
Little piggie outside the restaurant. Oink, oink!

The last place I want to tell you about is Ernesto's Mexican Restaurant. They had some really yummy mexican food, just when I was craving it! They aren't like El Gallo or Los Comales in Chicago, but they were really good for commercialized mexican food. Definitely not like ChiChi's or Chili's. The steak fajitas were juicy and tender and not at all salty, like some places... Check them out!

So yeah, I am thinking I like KY. A gorgeous place to visit, clean and not crowded and definitely a good time!

No comments: