Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Melomakarona Cheesecake

I wanted to make something for my dad this Easter. He always works so hard on the lamb every Easter and no one really thanks him properly for it. I know how much he loves loves loves melomakarona cookies so when I saw this recipe on one of my favorite blogs, I knew it was going to be for Easter.

I didn't do anything different from Peter's recipe other than to use a whole container of Greek yogurt (which is 17.2 oz if you're using Fage) instead of just 16 oz and I omitted the orange zest. I'm not a huge fan of zest, but it didn't hurt the recipe at all. And of course, as you can see, no pretty decorations on top :)

I have to say though, the one beef I had was the cookie I used. I didn't have the time to make them myself (or the patience), so I bought some from the (only) Greek store near me. Ech, I really didn't like the cookies. Next time I'll get them from someone I know makes good ones!
But hey, my dad loves it, so who am I to say anything?


After I took it out of the water and took off the springform ring, I let the honey drip down the sides onto the foil. That was silly of me to do. It just made the bottom of the pan get all slippery, so I had to cover the top of the holder I had w/ plastic wrap for more grip. Annoying...
Oh and I also crumbled leftover cookies on top w/ the walnuts.

My family gobbled it up, except for my cousin Pete who thought I should have wowed them with someone more extravagent. When I asked him what that would have been, he said something about fruit on top w/ whipped cream. I told him it was too Baker's Square for me. (He used to work there a long, long time ago) I still love him even if he has no taste ;)

This was the last piece left that I took home and shared w/ mom last night for dessert. Neither of us got a piece on Easter, so we split it into two thin pieces and enjoyed.

3 comments:

Peter M said...

Despite the crappy melomekarena, sounds like the cheesecake went over well, huh?

Delighted you made and next time yeah, try it with some homemade cookies...I'll certainly make it again.

Maria said...

That cheesecake had definitely caught my eye too when Peter first posted it. Sounds delicious. Cheesecake is a favorite of my husband's so maybe for his birthday ...

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Cheesecake will always make it's way to our special occasion dinners. Live the flavours here.