Sunday, July 5, 2009

Peach Raspberry Cobbler

I had gone peach picking last Labor Day weekend w/ my friend Kristine and I came home with A LOT of peaches. And lots of little pricklies in my shirt that were scratching at me all day.

There were so many peaches, I cut up the ripe ones and froze them, then let the rest ripen some more, then froze those. I ended up w/ a crap load of cut up frozen peaches in my freezer. Yum.

So I have used them here and there since, but mostly in smoothies (frozen fruit is best when making smoothies, mmm...) I woke up last Sunday just kinda craving peaches. I knew I have frozen peaches and frozen raspberries, so I decide to make a peach and raspberry cobbler. I've never made cobbler before. I've made fruit pies and fruit crisps. But never cobbler. So I went in search of one on tastespotting, foodgawker, foodnetwork.com, and all recipes. The one I went with was kinda of a jumble of them all...

Cobber topping:
1 cup of flour
1 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup milk

Mix the first four ingredients. Cut in the butter using a fork or pastry blender. Slowly add the milk until the batter looks like this:
Since the peaches and raspberries were frozen, I tossed them into a saucepan to thaw and juice up. The raspberries pretty much liquefied immediately but the peaches took a bit longer. I also put about 1/4 cup of granulated sugar in the pot and 1 Tbsp of cornstarch b/c I knew I would have to thicken it up w/ all the excess water coming from the frozen fruit.
After the peaches and raspberries were mostly cooked, but the peaches weren't entirely tender, I drained a bit of the liquid and put them into a 9X9 pan then dolloped the cobbler topping over it. I then sprinkled some raw sugar on top, just for some crunch.
I baked the cobbler for 30 min at 400 degrees F.

Mmmm..... fruity bubbley goodness.
It was definitely yummy. The cobbler topping had an almost biscuit taste to it, but not the same texture. Very light and fluffy. And very yummy. :)

No comments: