Monday, April 16, 2012

Blueberry Cake

I found this recipe, created by Donna Hay.  I'll be honest, I'm not really 100% sure who she is, but apparently she is a simple, classic baker. 

I needed a recipe last week to use the blueberries I had on hand and nothing else that I didn't have...  I basically had nothing but, well the basics.  And blueberries. 

So I found this muffin recipe, but honestly, it looked kinda bland. I didn't really think it would wow me, or anyone else.  So I made a few tweaks to the recipe and turned it into a cake. 

Here is my version of the cake.  It is tender, light and flavorful.  Enjoy!

Blueberry muffin cake
adapted from Donna's Modern Classics

2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup of sugar
1 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
2 eggs
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup melted and cooled salted butter
1 1/4 cup fresh blueberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 

Sift flour and baking powder together.  Add sugar and combine. 

Mix yogurt, 2 eggs, vanilla and butter together.  Stir in the dry ingredients until just combined.  Coat the blueberries in a little bit of flour and fold into the mixture. 

Pour into a greased 9 inch cake pan. Sprinkle with raw sugar turbinado sugar and bake for 40 minutes. 

Let cool completely before serving. 


I loved the cake as it was, but I have to say it would have been great with a nice vanilla glaze drizzled on top.
The cake was soft and buttery and full or delicious, juicy blueberries.  It was very yum as it was, but a glaze would have just made it that much better.  I'll def make one next time, maybe even make it a mixed berry cake w/ strawberries and raspberries too.  :)


1 comment:

June said...

Looks delicious! Have to try one of these days!