Thursday, February 26, 2009

Apple bread... Mmmm.....

I love apple bread. It's definitely one of my favorite kinds of fruit breads, right after banana bread of course. :)

This apple bread recipe was given to me by someone I knew, and actually I don't think they really appreciate this recipe the way I do... I bake this so often, the old recipe sheet that I had it on was covered in stains from all of the ingredients... It's so easy to make too! It makes two loaves, which I think is perfect, one to keep at home and one to take to work or give away!

I was actually super sad for a minute because I couldn't find my recipe, but remembered that I had given it to a few people at work after having it. Thankfully, my co-worker still had it and made a copy of it for me. I would have been so sad if I didn't get another copy! This bread is a hit! My yiayia (grandmother) even told my mom and me that she liked this bread more than she liked any cake my mom has ever made! My poor mom was not too happy about that...

The bread is nice and moist, with out being greasy or oily like the cake I made recently. It's very light and fluffy almost, and the apples are tender and have a very sweet tartness to them, which keeps the bread form being way too sweet.

The Recipe (exactly as it was given to me):

3 cups of all-purpose flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3 large eggs
1 cup veg oil
2 cups granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups diced apples
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Spray 2 9 X 5 X 3 inch loaf pans with some Pam. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, oil, vanilla and sugar together, mixing well. Stir in flour mixture until just mixed. Fold in apples and walnuts (if adding) and sppon into prepared loaf pans.

Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until tested done when a toothpick comes out with little crumbs. Cool 10 minutes (or longer if necessary) before removing to continue cooling on wire racks. ***
Okay, so I do a couple of things differently, nothing dramatic though. First off, I cut the apples first, sprinkle them with lemon juice and cinnamon-sugar. I also use about 6 apples, which makes more than 3 cups, but hey, I love apples! While those are off to the side, I make the batter. The batter is THICK. Make sure when you are folding the apples into the batter, you use a sturdy wooden spoon b/c a plain old spatula spoon will most likely break in half...
I also add more than a 1 tsp of cinnamon. I like the cinnamon so I don't mind adding an extra tsp.
After I spoon the batter in the loaf pans, I sprinkle some raw sugar on top for some extra sweet crunchiness.

No comments: