Friday, October 9, 2009

Scallop and zucchini rice pasta


So recently I won a contest and got Earth-Friendly Set of Jalapeno Roots, Red Pepper and Aztec Chocolate Spice Blends.
For this dish I used the Red Pepper Spice Blends and it was delicious! I was very excited when I got these spice blends, and honestly, I made this dish weeks ago, but I was trying to post everything as I was making it but life caught up to me and I didn't have time to post all of these recipes. So I was slacking... I'm sorry Val!!!

I'll be honest, this is mostly thrown together, but I wanted to emphasize a few things with this post. This was done when I was detoxing a while back and trying new products to replace the ones I have been using and that have been making me somewhat sick. Gluten is a huge thing I've been having trouble digesting.
I found something called brown rice pasta. And I found it at Jewel!!! Complete shocker for me. I am very happy to say that more and more, I've been finding stuff at Jewel that is better for you! They have a whole aisle of organic products, section of gluten free products (that is bigger than Whole Food's section!) and tons of organic frozen food and fresh products. And they really aren't any more or less expensive than Whole Foods. Pretty much the same. So convenience for products that aren't miles and miles away... :)
Tinkyada Pasta Joy, Brown Rice Pasta, found at Jewel!

Basically, I cooked the pasta according to the directions, but added some veg oil in the pasta water to help keep the pasta from sticking together. And I constantly stirred it.
After draining the pasta, I coated the bottom of the pot with olive oil and dried garlic flakes (Tastefully Simple's Garlic Garlic-I love that stuff!). When the dried garlic flakes got some extra juice to them from the olive oil, I tossed the drained pasta w/ the garlic oil.

With the scallops, I coated them with the red pepper spice blend, sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper and let them sit for a bit. I covered a saute pan with the red pepper infused olive oil, also found at Jewel. Once the pan was hot enough, I placed the scallops in the pain and seared both sides, aprx 4-5 mins on both sides. The thicker they are, the longer they sear for.
The zucchini was sauted in a pan w/ the same red pepper olive oil and red pepper spice blend. After everything was cooked, I tossed the zucchini with the pasta and sprinkled a little bit of parmesean cheese on top. I added the scallops and dinner was ready!


The red pepper was added a nice heat and fire to the dish, but it wasn't overpowering, nor was it too much. The red pepper olive oil was a perfect substitution for the normal butter we use int he house to coat the pasta and cook the scallops. I always use olive oil to saute zucchini. The olive oil was light and added a really good flavor. Not the buttery flavor I know and love, but it was healthier and tastier w/ the addition of the red pepper infusion and red pepper spice blend.

So check out the Made with Love website and look out for the creations I make with the Aztec Chocolate blend and jalapeno root!!!



No comments: