Sunday, November 14, 2010

My computer issues and a cake

Today, I am going nuts b/c my computer won't read my memory cards form my camera.  And I'm beginning to question whether it is the computer or the cards, which is really concerning me...  If it is just the computer, I can download the info onto another computer.  If it is the card, well, there goes a lot of memories.  And I will tell you right now, I will have a damn near heart attack if that happens.  My godsister's wedding, my new godson, my KY trip, my best friend's baby shower....  Hundreds of pictures, of memories, lost. 
And I'll be honest with you, if they are lost forever, I may just about lose my mind.

So on that note, I would LOVE it if someone who is pretty smart when it comes to all things technical and who understands the need to preserve these images can please speak up and help me!!!!  I can offer you cake!!!

Or maybe at least a few recipes of cakes? 

Like this one. 

Let me start of by telling you all I had a bit of a problem in the past.  I would print recipes, and forget where they came from.  I should have just printed them from the website alone, but then you get like thousands of pages printed that you don't need.  Or I'd write it down if it's short and sweet. This was before I started blogging.  I never thought I would need to know where it came from, as long as I had it to bake it.  Of course now that I blog, it's kinda hard to not share these recipes with you all b/c they are good...  but I can't give credit where credit is due.

This recipe was sitting in my stack of copied recipes from a long long time ago.  I went apple picking w/ a friend long before I knew what a blog was and copied like a bazillion apple recipes, and only used 5. 

Well I resurrected this one to make not too long ago (note I haven't had time to blog, let alone bake much lately, so some of these were not only printed long time ago, they were also made at least a couple months ago now...  I really need a personal assistant!!!).
It's a great cake, very moist and cinnamon-y.  The apples had the perfect texture, although next time, I would make the slices into chunks.  The slices made it hard to stick your fork into it and just pull out a clean bite.  You'd get the slices pulled right out too...

Ingredients:

3 cups AP flour
2 cups brown sugar
2 tbsp cinnamon
4 large apples, peeled, cored, sliced and halved (I used Granny Smith, as always)
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
4 large eggs
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large bowl, toss 1/4 cup of the sugar and all of the cinnamon with the apple slices until well coated.
In your mixing bowl, mix the flour and sugar, along with all of the baking powder, salt, eggs, oil, butter, and vanilla extract. Mix on medium-low speed for about two minutes or so, until the mixture is smooth.
Pour half of the batter in the greased angel food cake pan.  Spread the batter with a spoon to make sure it is an even layer.  Top this with half of the sliced apples. Try not to let the apples touch the sides of the pan or the tube. Then spread the other half of the batter over the apples evenly. On top of this, place the rest of the apples. Again, take care to keep them from touching the sides of the pan or the tube.


Bake the cake for one hour, until a toothpick inserted deeply in the center comes out with little pieces of the cake sticking to it (check after 50 mins, depending on your oven). If the top of the cake is browning too quickly, lightly cover it with foil about halfway through the baking time.

Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for about 30 mins.  Use a butter knife to loosen the edges from the cake pan.


Let it cool completely, then serve!


Off to try and figure out my computer and camera...  Wish me luck!

No comments: