Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Lecture #3

This week was all about pies and tarts. There are three different types of pie crusts and we'll be making them all tonight during lab. There is a pie dough (which can be mealy or flaky depending on how you put it together), sweet dough and crumb crusts. The pie dough is better for fruit pies, cream pies, and custard pies. The sweet dough is a bit sturdier and good for tarts (and apparently lemon bars, which we'll be making later on in the quarter). The last one is a crumb crust. It's kind of messy and a pain to make, but not bad. I just prefer a shortbread or Oreo cookie crust as opposed to graham cracker crust.
I cannot wait to have lab tonight, I am super excited about making pies. We're going to make each of the different crusts for three different pies. I am a little nervous about the pastry cream, only b/c the last time I made some by myself, our chef at the time threw the flame up higher and told me to go grab something while he watched it and two seconds later, it already burned a bit. Then I spent 20 mins picking out all the little burn spots....
But I think that it'll turn out better this time and I have a plan on how I'll be putting everything together, so this should go smoothly in the time we have. I just hope everything turns out ok so I can bring it all home to my family! My dad loves apple pie...

No comments: