Saturday, November 7, 2009

Pumpkin Coffee Cake

I have never made anything pumpkin. Well, by myself anyways. I've helped make pumpkin pies and cheesecakes, but never just made something on my own, or w/out a pre-made pumpkin pie jar.

So I was all about making pumpkin stuff this year, and this was my first go at it. :)
I saw this recipe and I knew it would be number one to try. It was so easy to make!

I did make a couple of changes, but it's pretty much the same recipe as Joanne's. :)

Oh, and I used a bundt pan. I spray it w/ Bakers Joy. I put some of the crumble topping on the bottom of the pan and some in the middle like she did, to see how it would come out. You couldn't really see it like Joanne's, but the top was crunchy. It still tasted good, I would just make more swirls w/ it next time instead of putting it on the bottom if I use a bundt again. And I will be making this again!!!!
These directions are going to be as if you were using a 13X9 pan.


Pumpkin Coffee Cake
adapted from Week of Menus

3/4 cup flour
1/2 stick butter, room temp
1/2 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt (if your butter has salt in it, don't use this)

Cake
2 cups flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 stick butter, room temp
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 can of pumpkin (15 oz)

For the topping, combine flour, butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt (if using) in a medium bowl. Mix until crumbly. Set aside.

Preheat oven to 375. Spray a 13X9X2-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Sift 2 cups of flour, baking powder, and salt into a small bowl. Using electric mixer, beat 1/2 cup of butter in a large bowl until fluffy. Gradually add 3/4 cup sugar and 1/2 cup brown sugar, beating until well blended. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating to blend after each addition. Mix in entire can of pumpkin. With the mixer on low, add the dry mixture. Mix until just all blended.

Pour half of the batter into the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle half the 1/2 the topping mixture. Pour and spread remaining batter on top. Sprinkle topping evenly over batter. Bake until tester inserted into center comes and clean and topping is golden brown, about 40 minutes. Cool cake. Serve room temperature.


See, you can just barely see the color difference on the top of the cake
And here you can see the middle filling. Yum!


I didn't try this cake the day I made it. Instead, after it was completely cool, I covered it and put it in the fridge. I served it room temp at work the next day. Everyone really liked it. L had multiple slices even though her stomach was hurting her and she really wants it for her bday! I'll do it again, but just in a 13X9 pan next time to see the difference!

1 comment:

Susie Buetow said...

This really looks tasty! I found it via a link! Stop over and link it to my Fall/Halloween link up http://cafescrapper-scrapsoflife.blogspot.com/2010/10/halloween-recipes-ideas-and-giveaway.html or in my RECIPE 2 Tab-top of blog(or both!) More traffic will come your way

I'm your newest follower!

Susie